In 2004, the Asia Urbs programme was integrated with the Asia Pro Eco programme to create a new programme for the urban environment in 2005 entitled the Asia Pro Eco II Programme.
There was one deadline for Asia Pro Eco II in 2005 on 5th April. Project proposals received are currently under evaluation.
Important: Please visit the website of Asia Pro Eco II for current information on the programme and how to apply.
The information below is for reference only, as the ECOPROFIT Asia project was orginally funded under Asia Urbs.
The Asia Urbs Programme is a cultural programme supported by both the development and economic funds of the Commission.
Its main activity is to fund two-year development projects, or six-month studies, which seek to improve living and environmental conditions for those living in urban areas. As one of its aims is to strengthen 'decentralised cooperation', these projects must be designed and implemented by local governments in Asia together with others in Europe. à bring nations of the European Union closer together with those on Asia
à cultural, economic and development programmes
à encourage exchanges and provide opportunities for working together
How to apply:
- innovative and sustainable development project
- the projects should be suitable for replication in other areas
- the projects should directly improve the welfare of local people
- it can include the improvement of management and planning systems, of policy development, of health and marketing schemes, rehabilitation of buildings, water and sanitation systems, etc.
- the European Commission is particularly keen to fund projects with a socioeconomic component addressing minority groups (women, ethnic groups, youth, children) and poverty alleviation
Process: Seven basic steps
- Call for Proposals and provision of Guidelines for Applicants by European Commission
- Partner Search by interested local governments
- Submission of Proposals to EC by Applicant
- Screening and Assessment of Proposals arranged by Asia Urbs Secretariat- Notification and contracts by Asia Urbs Secretariat and Applicants
- Implementation, monitoring and evaluation by Project Partners and Asia Urbs Secretariat
How to apply:
- Only local governments or local authorities are eligible to submit a project. Other organisations public or private sector may still be able to be involved in the Asia Urbs Programme but only through a local government body. ( they are requested to form links with a local government/authority before attempting to prepare a project proposal)
- Select one or more areas of urban or socio-economic development in which to develop a project (areas of interest: urban environment, urban management, urban social infrastructure, urban socio-economic development)
- Prepare a project document with budget (The project proposal documentation must accord to the official EC format for presentation).
- Submit the documentation (submit 5 copies of the project proposal by registered post to the appropriate office in the European Commission (only proposals from local governments/ authorities can be accepted). Submitting a copy of the application on a diskette is a requirement.
- Registration. It is possible to register with the Asia Urbs Programme (Asia Urbs Magazine and Asia Urbs Database)
- Use existing contacts (international contacts of your town)
- Local associations: Many local governments, municipal, professional and business associations (chambers of commerce, etc.) already have links with other towns in other countries
- Regional and international associations (Asian, European or International ones)
- Embassies (maybe offer advice on which towns in the country might be interested in working with that project)
- European Commission Delegations - Partner Search Database
The proposal has to include adequate plans for sustainability.
The EC can supply funds for a maximum of two years only. The application should therefore include a proposal for how the project initiatives will be continued, and by whom, after the end of the project.